Systems Perspective, Collaborative Approach
As the national organization representing governmental health laboratories in the US, APHL understands public health laboratories from a systems perspective. With over 20 years’ consulting experience in 31 countries on five continents, APHL enters each project with an open ear and the awareness that every country is unique. Consultants, all experienced laboratory professionals, most drawn from APHL's membership, come with knowledge acquired through years in leadership positions, and respect for the technical expertise and on-the-ground experience of in-country experts.
Laboratory Services Across the Globe
Currently APHL works in 22 countries under the US President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) and several others to strengthen national laboratory systems and expand access to quality diagnostic testing services. The association's ultimate goal is to improve patient treatment and health outcomes, particularly in countries affected by the HIV/AIDS pandemic and emerging infectious diseases.
In addition to PEPFAR, APHL supports the CDC Division for Global HIV/AIDS, and partners with national and regional laboratory networks, including the African Society of Laboratory Medicine, the Caribbean Epidemiology Centre and the Canadian Public Health Laboratory Network.
View our introductory video to learn more about APHL Global Health Services.
Support for Lab Systems in Under-Resourced Settings
APHL supports laboratory systems in under-resourced settings with technical assistance, training and planning services including:
- National laboratory strategic plans and policy documents. Presented National Laboratory Strategic Planning and Policy Development Training at African Centre for Integrated Laboratory Systems in Johannesburg.
- Laboratory information management systems. Supported LIMS implementations in over 10 countries with new LIMS systems launched in Guyana and Zambia.
- Laboratory leadership and management programs for senior and supervisory professionals. Delivered week-long Foundation in Laboratory Leadership and Management training in Nigeria.
- Strengthening Laboratory Management towards Accreditation (SLMTA) training, mentorship and supervision. Sponsored educational programs to support accreditation of African laboratories in five countries with initiatives aimed at laboratory management (SLMTA) and laboratorians (Strengthening Laboratory Improvement Program towards Accreditation, SLIPTA).
- Laboratory quality assurance systems. Supporting external quality assurance programs in Haiti and Rwanda.
- Laboratory renovation projects. Supporting design activities for new Namibia national public health laboratory.
- Procurement of laboratory equipment and supplies. Supporting laboratory procurement for Maputo, Mozambique laboratory training center.
- Laboratory networks. Partnering with African Society for Laboratory Medicine to create a responsive, cross-continental laboratory network.
- Equipment maintenance. Delivered three-week equipment maintenance training in Ethiopia.
Twinning Initiative Pairs Uganda, New Mexico Lab
With CDC support, APHL is coordinating a technical assistance program that matches the Central Public Health Laboratory in Kampala, Uganda, with the Scientific Laboratory Division of the New Mexico Department of Health. APHL previously collaborated with the World Health Organization on similar "twinning" initiatives to strengthen national laboratories and, by extension, national laboratory systems.