The APHL Quality System News Bytes newsletter provides information to public health laboratories on improving performance of their public health laboratory systems. Please feel free to share this update with your system partners and to share with us any new resources, experiences or activities related to system improvement.
Below are the events and resources from the Fall 2020 issue of the newsletter. Contact
Tina Su for more information.
Save the Date: November 2020 Quality Improvement Forum Call
- Title: Effective Strategies that Support a Culture of Quality and Safety
- Date: Tuesday, November 17 at 1:00 pm ET
- Speakers: Drs. Grace Kubin, Director of the Laboratory Services Section at the Texas Department of State Health Services, and Maria Ishida, Director of the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets, Food Laboratory Division
- Topics: Culture of quality and safety, as well as effective methods for communication and information dissemination to staff, including the use of huddles, town halls and dashboards.
Save the Date: Fall 2020 Laboratory System Improvement Program (L-SIP) Informational Call
- Date: Thursday, November 12 at 12:00 pm ET
- Topics: Learn about the benefits of conducting an L-SIP assessment or reassessment, what to expect from the assessment day, and what support APHL can provide. Public health laboratories that conducted an assessment in 2007–2015 are strongly encouraged to conduct a reassessment to assess the impact of previous changes and to document where gaps might still exist in the laboratory system.
- To Register: Contact Tina Su at firstname.lastname@example.org.
APHL Training Site Gets Total Redesign, Consolidates Offerings!
After receiving feedback from members about not having a centralized listing of APHL training and event opportunities, we have taken steps to redesign and improve the Laboratory Training website by consolidating all of APHL’s trainings, events and resources into a single, accessible resource.
Every old page (except the homepage) has been deleted, replaced by a single overview page, an overarching search page, and three more specific search pages:
Webinar Series: ECHO (Extension for Community Healthcare Outcomes) Project
In 2020, the Division of Laboratory Systems (DLS) is piloting a laboratory community of practice (CoP) on diagnostic excellence. The aims of the project are to:
- Connect laboratory professionals, clinicians, and subject matter experts in laboratory medicine
- Use case-based learning to educate and train laboratory and healthcare professionals
- Examine cross-cutting issues in clinical and anatomic pathology
A schedule of future sessions has been posted on their website.
Note: Dr. Anthony Tran from the District of Columbia Public Health Laboratory presented in July on public health laboratories, and the transcript and audio have been archived.
Updated 10 Essential Public Health Services (EPHS)
- On September 9, 2020, the revised EPHS were released.
- They center around equity and bring the framework in line with modern public health needs.
Quality Assurance Community of Practice
Join the Quality Assurance Community and ask
your peers quality-related questions, view and/or respond to the queries.
Contact Tina Su at email@example.com to sign up.
Quality Improvement Forum Update
Recordings of the past QIF calls can be found in audio files that are available on the
APHL Quality Improvement Forum website. Click on the title to expand your selection and display the links to the presentation and audio file. Recent QIF calls include:
November 2019: Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
- January 2020: Validation and Verification of Analytical Methods
Announcements for future QIF calls are made through the APHL eUpdate and Quality Assurance Community.
Current L-SIP Map
Assessments to date: 37 states, 6 locals
Reassessments to date: 5 states, 1 local