APHL is working in collaboration with the Association of Food and Drug Officials (AFDO) and the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) to strengthen and integrate food and feed testing laboratories. This effort is supported by a five-year cooperative agreement from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to advance the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA).
The agreement supports food and feed regulatory testing laboratories seeking to achieve, maintain or enhance ISO/IEC 17025:2005 accreditation. Over 70 members from APHL, AAFCO and AFDO are working on the cooperative agreement to advance the creation of a National Integrated Food Safety System (IFSS).
Objectives of the work include:
- Developing laboratory training programs around accreditation
- Building a mentoring program for laboratories at various stages of accreditation
- Enabling direct electronic sharing of analytical data
- Improving communication among federal, state and local testing laboratories and with their associated regulatory and public health programs
- Expanding a proficiency testing program for feed laboratories
Accomplishments to date: